Sunday, January 31, 2021

Changing the World By Starting Local

 


If you spend any time watching Ted Talks, you know there's a whole lotta people out there who have a whole lotta great ideas. Ideas that can literally change the world. The problem, of course, is implementation. Most of the people I've met who care enough to make a real dent in the Universe suffer from the problem of scale. The world is a pretty damn big place. Where do you even start?

It's the classic "how to eat an elephant" conundrum that Tutu dude once talked about. As you stand there looking up at the elephant, the sheer size of the beast is absolutely overwhelming. The only way to approach it is to take one bite at a time. Same deal when I used to run ultramarathons. Running 100 miles is a daunting task. So you break it down into sections, each one a few miles long. As fatigue and abject pain set in at 3am and you're freezing cold and surrounded by darkness, sometimes you break it down to "that stick on the side of the trail eight feet in front of me." You do what you have to do.

When I set out to start this goofy "School run by a Tribe" idea, I had a pretty explicit goal in mind - I wanted to make the world a better place. The venomous divisions created throughout our society troubled me deeply, and I thought I had a pretty good solution. But one dude with a tiny team of passionate idealists, a crappy blog, and zero cash ain't gonna move the needle on the world scale. Or the national scale. Hell, even the state looks pretty daunting right now. 

So I'm starting with our community. That's the goal. Make Montrose, Colorado the best damn place to live on the entire planet. If I can accomplish that, if we can figure out the blueprint for making this place amazing, figuring out what works here, then we can get the momentum to take bigger bites.

~Jason

 

***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Summary - The 30,000 Foot View - Version 3.0

  This is the third version of the outline for this project. To see how these ideas have evolved as we've developed them, read the first...